Monday, August 07, 2006

2:11 am, 7 August 2006

Hooray! I am finally done traveling. And, of course, my body clock just doesn't know which way is up. So I'm wide awake at 2 am. Not necessarily a bad thing though. . . it's a good uninterrupted time to download my pictures and organize my thoughts from the trip.

I am thrilled to be back in Wisconsin. In the waiting area for our plane from Detroit to Appleton Mom and I sat next to a group of friendly women discussing the best recipe for rhubarb tarts. . . aaah home!

And as promised (finally) here are some pictures from my trip!
Starting with Delhi. . .
Qutb Minar


The Qutb Minar was built in the 1190's by Qutb-ud-din Aibak, the Islamic successor of the Mughal empire. The main tower (minar) is 239 feet tall and 46 feet in diameter at the base. At first, Mom and I weren't sure we were going to go see the Qutb Minar, thinking it was "just a tower." However, we met two sisters from Seattle on our tour of Agra who highly recommended that we go, with the statement, "I just couldn't stop looking at it." She was right. It truly is an inspiring structure, and it is made even more so by the stately ruins around it. The pillars in the picture on the left formed the courtyard of the Quwwat-al-Islam mosque. The black metal pillar (shown in the archway with me in front) dates from the 4th century to honour the Hindu god Vishnu. The iron pillar is mysterious because no one knows how it came to rest in its current location, nor how it has remained rust-free for over 1,600 years. Visitors who stretch their arms backwards around in the pillar (in a sort of reverse hug) will supposedly have good fortune, but I couldn't try, since it is now fenced off.

Hmmmm, having trouble adding more pictures to this entry, so continue with the next post. . .

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hurray!! Amy's back! More pictures, please.

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was me, by the way. ---Julia

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home