Monday, July 10, 2006

5:30pm, 10 July 2006

Another day down, 21 more to go until I am done and can meet Mom in Delhi. My group was supposed to spend the morning getting better trained to give eye exams. Currently, we are truly not that much help, so we were excited at the prospect of learning something and becoming helpful and proficient. However, that isn't really how it worked out. We traveled to one of the rural clinics and watched two vision technicians give exams. They taught us a few things, but we spend most of our time getting in the way and giving eachother fundus exams with the ophthalmoscope. Oh well. Maybe I'll learn something new tomorrow.

Our group left the clinic at about one and traveled in the funny taxis here. They are referred to as "autos" and are yellow with black tops like taxis at home, but they are tiny, open on the sides, and have three wheels (two in back, one in front). We squeezed three people per auto and rode a hair-raising 40 minutes to a nice coffee shop called Mocha. I even ate a chicken sandwich. The meals at the little campus where I am staying are all vegetarian, so I was craving some protein. I also had a delicious oreo-brownie milkshake. It was a nice, relaxing afternoon with my group. We started joking about how little actual help we are (we observe alot, but do only a litle). Instead of Unite for Sight (U for S), it is more like Unite for Sightseeing, Unite for Sleep, Unite for Sitting. . . the list goes on.

3 Comments:

Blogger Just Us said...

Hi, if you get a a chance to visit Rajasthan I recommend you to visit the Global Hospital & Research Centre in Mt. Abu. See link below.

http://www.ghrc-abu.com/

7:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stay away from mass transit okay! So excited to see you in August (that itinerary looked fine). Hope everything is well.

10:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Amy, I hope that things are going a bit better for you. Miss you lots!

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home