Sunday, July 30, 2006

12:15pm, 30 July 2006

I apologize. . . this is my first post in awhile! However, it is a good thing, because it means my experience here has been much improved. After my last entry, I was able to move from my ghetto lodgings in the middle of nowhere to a very nice guest house in the middle of Hyderabad. Unfortunately, my guest house doesn't have internet, but besides that, it is wonderful. The people are nice; I have air conditioning; there are no ants, mosquitos, or lizards; I have toilet paper and laundry; and most importantly, I have been able to have a social life.

I am currently at an internet cafe, not the first time since I moved to the guest house, but this is the first time I've been able to access my blog. You may have read/heard about the terrorist bombings of the trains in Mumbai. It is a scary thing to have happen, but I still feel fairly safe here. My group does not use much public transportation, and Hyderabad is not as tempting as a terrorist target. However, it did mean that the Indian government tried to block access to blogs dealing with terrorism, terrorist groups, muslim-hate groups, etc, but instead of blocking only those blogs, they blocked ALL access to blogs on certain blogsites (Blogger included). These blocks have now been removed, so I am now able to make entries.

My program is actually finished tomorrow. I have loved India, but my activities through Unite for Sight and the LV Prasad Eye Clinic were not all I had hoped. It was more of a public health experience than a medical program. I am going to be sad to leave India (to go home and start class), but I'm glad that my program is finished. However, I will definitely miss my group members! We have had such a blast here together!

I leave tomorrow night to meet Mom in Delhi. I am so excited to see Mom, and I look forward to getting to do more sight-seeing. I've heard the Taj Majal is unbelievable and that Delhi is a fun place in which to be a tourist. Hopefully our hotel in Delhi will have internet, so I can be a better blogger once I am there.

Only 8 days until I am home!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home